Friday, May 13, 2011

The Young and the Restless: College Year 1

So, I finished my year semester of college. Am I enlightened? No. Have a learned a lot? No. Have I learned much about useful things? Well, not in class. I do have new friends. That's nice. College is... Well, college is growing up, mostly. (someone punch me, right in my mouth). And now, various shit that involves bullet points, lots of namedropping, and a vague stab at bottling college life. Oh, there's also a playlist.

Favorite Moments of College, Year One:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Dancing for four hours to the greatest DJ ever at Hoochfest '10.
  • Roadtripping to Milwaukee to see LCD Soundsytem with my main motherfucker Brandon Foster, and then immediately driving back and jamming out for, like, five hours to stay alive and not die from a sleep deprived car crash.
  • Crossing the street, I asked Hillary Haaker if she'd heard the new Kanye album and she smiled and screamed yes and then her, Dylan Chapman and I jumped around in a circle and screamed with happiness in the middle of the road. 
  • When Brandon Foster looked up how to make an Em-Dash for me.  
  • The night it snowed at Mark Twain.
  • Devouring Season One of Fringe with Peter Legrand and Eric Briesacher.
  • (*shaking head back and forth*) "Never Again..." 
  • Meeting Rob's springfield crew and being forever hypnotized by that little niche of midwestern greatness.
  • The time that rando Maneater staffer went on a room-wide rant about how college is complete fucking bullshit.
  • Anytime anyone ever made a Community reference.
  • Watching Porco Rosso and Spirited Away with Dylan freaking Chapman.
  • Yelling Wavves really loud with Brandon while searching the frozen tundra of Mizzou for our friends
  • The Arcade Fire / National Roadtrip with Kristian, Brian, Dylan, and Brandon.
  • The first time I played Bryce in Smash Bros in that tournament. Best shit ever. (Also, all other times with Bryce). 
  • Meeting my journalism hero, Jimmy Hibsch.
  • Staying up all night playing Final Fantasy X with Dylan Chapman and Conor O'brien while I transcribed interviews for an ultimate frisbee article (even though Conor pretty much just slept).
  • The Rob/Will all-star moments at the first kickball game.
  • When I asked Brandon Foster and Eric Briesacher to guess what else I got at Streetside Records, and they, for no reason, started singing the lyrics Cape Cod Kassa Kassa, and then I pulled out a Peter Gabrial record at the same time they sang "Peter Gabrial Too"

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

College Year One Playlist: 53(Heavy on the Stairs)

1. All Tomorrows's Parties - The Velvet Underground
2. Afraid of Everyone - The National
3. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus
4. Victory Garden - Galaxie 500
5. Common Heat - No Age
6. I'm New Here - Gil Scott-Heron
7. Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine
8. Month of May - Arcade Fire
9. No Depression - Uncle Tupelo
10. Someone Great - LCD Soundsystem
11. Round and Round - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

 Seeya Next Semester, Everyone.

Joel Samson Berntsen (New Age - The Velvet Underground)

    No comments: