Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Inconsiderate Youth Drained of Life

I’ve been having trouble finishing thoughts lately. I’ll start a post or a poem or a story and it just never ends up anywhere. This, I’ve concluded, is directly correlated to school. Not that school is giving me writer’s block; rather the establishment has me in a perpetual state of exhaustion. I suppose it’s also partly my fault though. While trying to squeeze tennis, work, AP study sessions, and various afterschool activities into my life, I’ve been stretched thin. I’m weary. And while summer offers a form of relief, I can’t help but feel that I’ll be spending most of my time cramming in one activity after the other (plus college prep stuff).

I’ve also grown weary of living at home. Even though I should count this as a blessing, I can barely stand being in my home. It’s not that it’s an intolerable hellhole. It’s just don’t want to go home after spending eight hours in school, followed by chasing after a small, green ball for several hours, then proceeding to go to work. Well, I do. But I don’t want to go “home” to a place where as soon as the side door is opened, I have to deal with twenty questions from each individual(four) before I can even put my book back down. I want to arrive to a place of silence or place where my friends are. Not people I’ve lived with my whole life. This may sound cruel and it probably is. I’m also probably just being bitter and selfish. However, it’s gotten to the point where I don’t really care. I can’t wait till college.

Joel Samson Berntsen (The White Stripes-Ball and Biscuit)

2 comments:

sparrow said...

I vote you come live in my spare bedroom in the basement. It's a wonderful place for creative expansion.

Anonymous said...

...you aren't the only one that's tired of living at home....although i love it, a recent vacation made me appreciate only my friends and the joys of NOT being home