Friday, March 19, 2010

Returning to Sender (Dexter and I)


Last summer ago I started watching Dexter (the Showtime series). And it was fantastic. But for some reason I stopped watching it around episode seven. Why? I don’t know; it’s just one of those things that happen.

(Side note: during the title sequence, I would always started craving eggs because of the high detailed and close-up shots of breakfast being made, so I started catering to my cravings and it became a ritual to make myself some eggs, pour a ton of pepper on them, and then start an episode of Dexter; it was one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever experienced in my life.)

This summer, I convinced my girlfriend to buy seasons one and two for college (Ah... I’m a tricky, tricky man). Anyway, she only recently started it, so I’ve started re-watching the first season, and I’m an episode away from the season finale. And man, as I said before, this show is freaking fantastic! Yes. The show is so good it warrants an exclamation point; it is really that good.

I know. I’m behind the times.

The first season? Man, you mean back when the Ice cream truck killer was still around? Geez, Joel. You really are behind.

Yes, this might be true, odd-speaking alter ego of Joel that only comes out in late night ramblings after prolonged viewings of Dexter, but that is not the point. The point is this; I think the ice cream truck killer is my favorite character on the show…

But you know he’s going to die…

Yes, it’s kind of anticlimactic…

But you still are deeply in love and involved with the show…?

Yes.

Well, then it’s all cool my brother.

Why are you talking like that now?

Like what?

Like William Baldwin in The Squid and The Whale.

My brother, I don’t know if anyone who reads this blog will get that reference… I think it’s time for you to get to bed.

But there’s Dexter to be watched!

But there’s work in the morning my brother…

Right, Right… damn your logic.

Say goodnight to the pretty folks my brother.

Goodnight.

Joel Samson Berntsen (Gouge Away- Pixies)

No comments: